List of the most commonly reported pet toxins found in the household.
Human foods :
Chocolate, xylitol (a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener, often in sugar-free gum), and grapes/raisins are some of the most commonly reported poisons that lead to pet emergencies.
Human medications :
Everyday pain relievers such as Advil®, Aleve® and Motrin can cause kidney failure in dogs or lead to painful stomach and intestinal ulcers. Antidepressants can lead to vomiting, rapid heart beat, and can even cause seizures…
Insecticides and pesticides, including sprays and flea/tick medicine, can be life threatening to dogs, even if ingested in small amounts. The risks of misusing flea/tick medicine often surprises people the most.
Rat poison (rodenticides):
Rodenticides contain an assortment of chemicals that can have lethal consequences on pets if ingested, even in small amounts. Pets can also be poisoned by ingesting or playing with rodents that ingested rat poisons.
Alkaline-based products including bleach and many oven cleanes are especially dangerous and can lead to symptoms such as abdominal pain, difficulty swallowing, and difficulty breathing.
Lawn fertilizer and mulch:
While your dog should be fine if he eats a few blades of grass, direct ingestion of these products can lead to tremors and seizures.
Although cats were responsible for most of the calls, dogs are also susceptible to plant toxins.